Thursday 8 November 2012

Tat-ilicious Deliciousness

It might be obvious to some by now that I am a fan of Jess's threads (Tat-ilicious on Etsy).  "Chilled" was one of my favourite colour ways.  A little while ago I told her that it would look good done in her "messy" technique...  So she did.  And it's lovely!  Just received it this morning.


I love the gentler, more random colour changes that she achieves using this technique.  Wonderful.

I bought it in two sizes this time:  size 20 in the motif above and also in size 60 for a change.  And now looking at this lovely fine thread... I feel a hanky edging coming on...


This is one edging I've tried.
It's called Pomegranate (modified just a little)
and is from Anne Orr's
Classic Tatting Patterns book.
Not 100% decided yet but it's a maybe.

I don't know if the variegate calls for a simpler pattern.  As a general rule, I think "keep it simple" when there's lots of colour in the thread and use plain colours for more complex designs.

Best wishes,

12 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that the teal/jade didn't show up as much in the size 20 but it's very present in the size 60. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do look different, but I like them both! :-)

      Delete
    2. What is the pattern for the motif

      Delete
  2. Your motif and edging look very elegant!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that first motif. Looks wonderful. Am waiting for my 'Chilled' to show up any day in my mailbox. Now, I really cannot wait!

    I agree: the more complicated the pattern, the more uniform the colour. %100.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely color by Jess + beautiful tatting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely motif tatted in Jess's thread, gorgeous colours

    Nice edging if you use that colour way I think it will look amazing
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about using a simple pattern for a complex thread colorway and vice-a-verse, but that color way is more an ombre then a variegated, so with that pattern there shouldn't be too much visual overload.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I thought that might appeal to you Diane... knowing our respective love of blues.

      Delete
  8. I like the look of the motif and edging using Jess' HDT. They are gorgeous. Generally, I agree with you on using a solid colour for the more complicated patterns, but the edging works for me in the HDT. Just my 2 cents'... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!