I'm still on my gift production line! Here is a glasses case in crochet. I used the star stitch I had previously used to make bags as I liked the texture. This was a special request so I hope it will fit the bill!
I'm so pleased I finally finished re-knitting this cardigan\jacket. The fit is now soooo much better! I thought I was mad to knit a whole garment in K1P1 (so slow!) in the first place... but to do it twice!! It's considerably smaller this time, with a more fitted, darted, bodice and knitting it with smaller sized needles also gives the jacket more body. Once again I lined the button bands with ribbon (nice velvet one this time) and it was worth the extra time to do that. For a close-fitting knit, this gives a nicer finish with no gaping or pulling at the buttonholes.
It probably doesn't look like much in the photos, but it does look nice on. Again, my favourite part of this pattern is...
I also managed to finish the second hat (in robin colours) and found a robin pin to go with it.
I'm now getting busy with more things I want to knit, crochet, sew, tat for Christmas gifts. I need to get my skates on. How about you, how are your projects coming along?
It's also the day I wear one of my favourite tatted thing: this poppy, designed by Jennifer Williams.
I made it a two years ago and it's a pleasure to retrieve it from my drawer of tatted bits, steam it back into shape and pin it to my coat.
I finished the hat for my son and have just bought wool to make a second one for my other son (he asked for "robin colours"). I'm thinking I might even make a couple more for Christmas gifts for other family members.
This is the design that came to me last week. Funny how things happen in twos sometimes... Last year was the same as I made Bentley just after finishing Snowdrop.
It seems I faffed for ages with Crystal Star but this one popped into my head and the idea translated into the actual tatted star quite well. Well, it's not exactly as my initial sketch but it fell into place as I started tatting it.
I was still thinking of crystals and beads and how to incorporate them into designs. Something a bit different if possible. Instead of just in the centre, I thought I'd have them going up the arms of the star this time. I made the first one with crystals and then I thought I'd try with pearls (as in the mocha sample). I rather like the look with pearls for a change.
The white sample was the first one and I was still playing with stitch count and picots so it's less uniform than the mocha one.
I liked Polaris as a name (a suggestion from a few blogposts ago) but I did a quick search and found that my friend Robin has used that name for one of her designs so I think I'm going to go with "Étoile du Nord" if there are no objections to that name.
It turned out to be too big in the end and I took the drastic decision to re-knit the whole thing. Not only re-knit it but also convert it from the traditional "from the bottom-up in separate pieces" way it was designed to a top-down all in one construction. I'm making it in a smaller size but I also went down a needle size for a more structured fabric so I've been doing a lot of maths! I've even made it more fitted with darts on the front. It's been a really interesting exercise. So far so good. I've now done the whole body and am half way down the first sleeve. Just one more sleeve and the collar to do. I'm not showing it to you now because it doesn't look so good with the wool all wiggly-waggly from having been unravelled. It'll look much better once it's finished and I can wash it and the wool will relax back into shape.
Apart from that, I'm making my son a hat. In a wool I'd not tried before: Debbie Bliss Rialto DK. Beautiful stuff. So smooth and a joy to knit with.